Hi, How Can We Help You?


March 23, 2021


Required Documents for a Spain Visa Application

The main requirements for a visa to Spain are:

  • Visa Application Form.
  • Two biometric photos.
  • Your passport.
  • Copies of passport pages with info.
  • Flight reservation.
  • Proof of accommodation.
  • Medical Insurance.
  • Medical Certificate.
  • Proof of Sufficient Financial Means.

Following in this article find shortly explained the criteria and specifications each requirement must meet.

The Right Visa Application Form

Note that there are two types of Spain visa application form. One is for short-stay visas, and a different form is for long -stay visa applications. Complete the one you need, print it twice, and then sign it at the end.

The application form contains questions regarding your identity: name, surname, date & place of birth, profession, background etc. It also asks questions regarding your purpose of travel to Spain and the intended period of stay.

Pay attention to each question and try to answer them correctly. If the information you give in this form does not comply with the information on the rest of the documents, your application will most probably be declined.

Two biometric photos

These photos should be identical and taken within the last three months. Make sure they meet the Schengen photo requirements and specifications.

Your original passport

Check your passport before you apply. Note that it must be valid for another three months beyond your departure from Spain. It should also have at least one blank page, so the consulate can put the visa sticker in it.

You also need to make a copy of all passport pages that contain information: the two main pages with your details and the pages with visa stickers and stamps.

Flight reservation

You need to show proof of the dates when you plan to travel to Spain and then leave the country. This proof is a flight reservation, which mentions your name, as well as the dates and places of arrival and departure.

Proof of accommodation

Another requirement to apply for a Spain visa, is showing evidence to the Spanish authorities where you will be staying while you are in Spain. Any of the following can be presented as proof of accommodation:

  • Hotel booking. Submit a booking that contains your name, the dates of stay, and the details of the hotel.
  • Invitation letter. If you will be staying over at friends or family members living in Spain, submit a letter invitation from your inviter in Spain stating their details (address, contact details, intended period of stay, etc.). Note that photocopy is not acceptable! You can still submit a colored print.
  • Rental agreement. If you will be renting a place for your stay in Spain, you should submit proof of that. You need to present the rental agreement with the owner of the premises. The document must state the area of the place you are renting, address and owner’s details.

Medical Insurance

You must purchase travel medical insurance and present this proof to the Spanish authorities in charge of visa application admission in your country of residence.

When applying for a short-stay visa the medical insurance must cover not only the whole territory of Spain, but also all of the other Schengen member countries. It should cover any incident or unforeseen illness with a minimum of 30.000€, including repatriation for medical reasons or in case of death. In addition, and it must be arranged at least for 7 days even if you are planning to stay less than that, i.e. two days.

On the other hand, when applying for a long-term visa, you should submit health Insurance from an authorized provider in Spain. It must cover medical repatriation, evacuation, accidents, emergencies, sanitary assistance etc., with zero deductible and no co-payment.

Medical Certificate

A document issued from your doctor issued in the last three months. The certificate must confirm that you are free of any disease that could seriously affect public health.

Proof of Sufficient Financial Means

To be eligible to travel to Spain you must have a specific minimum amount of money. According to the European Commission, you need to attest owning the overall amount for duration up to 10 days that is representative of a 90% of the gross national minimum wage (636.93 €) that is 573.23€.

On the other hand, if your trip is to last more than 10 days, the daily-required amount is 70.77€. The foreign national needs to attest owning such amount to the Spain Embassy or Consulate at the moment applying for a Spanish Visa.

You could prove you have this money, by presenting your bank account statements to the consulate. If someone else is going to finance your trip you should submit a letter of support by this person, in which they explain why and how are they going to support you. They should submit their bank statements alongside with the letter.

On the other hand, if you are traveling for a long-term stay, you can submit other documents as a proof of sufficient financial means, as:

  • Rental income, if you have any properties that you rent out.
  • Job contract showing your salary, for employment.
  • Income from your business, if you are self-employed.
  • Scholarship confirmation that shows the amount you will receive, for students.
  • Pension statements, for retired persons, etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>